Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Paper Rosette Board

                                              MY PINWHEEL/PAPER ROSETTE BOARD


Hello again everyone. In this post I am going to share my experience making a pinwheel or paper rosette board (people call them by both names). I planned a wedding for a friend of a friend. Her wedding was an outdoor, DIY theme. Very mix matched. Yellow, gray, and white colors. A bit of a picnic theme with some 1920s-1950s. Scrolling through my favorite website, Pinterest, for yellow gray and white wedding themes I stumbled upon this:

Stephanie was all for a dessert bar. This idea seemed perfect.

Most of the time when you see things on Pinterest there are tutorials with the images. Not this time. This image went to a link with just images for the wedding setup. So for once, it was up to me to figure out how to do it. I was up for the challenge.

Materials:
Scrapbook paper (different colors and designs. You will need a lot. I will discuss this further later)
Scissors
Ruler
Double sided tape
Hot glue
Foam board
Paper doilies (optional)

Foam board for a size reference

Paper:
When I bought paper I seriously underestimated the amount I would need. But that meant I didn't over buy which was good. The breakdown is like this:

Large wheels = 2 pieces (6" radius)
Medium wheels = 2 pieces (4" radius)
Small wheels = 1 piece (3"-2" radius)

Once you get the feel of it you can look at what other colors/designs you will need and add up the amounts of paper. Also look for deals! When I bought the paper it was half off at hobby lobby. Don't just buy from one store either. I went to both Joann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby. Be careful with the colors though because a lot of times they look like they could be the same shade and they are not. Take a sample piece with you to make sure it matches. The solids I bought were only available in card stock. It worked but was harder to fold and harder to glue/tape together. Something you can consider when buying the paper. 

Step 1: Folding
As you begin to make the pin wheels you start to see what you need for different sizes. Make the big wheels first, these will be the foundation. Try doing one of each color and design. When you are folding it is fairly simple. Like the accordion fans you made as a child. I did mine approximately 1 inch. They will not be perfect. But it is best to make them as close to the same size as possible since they have to match up with another piece of paper when they are glued/taped together.

Here is an example of the folded piece. Once you cut it to a specified size you can cut the edge of one side to make it look fancier.

Step 2: Glueing or taping
Make sure when putting the sides together all the colored sides are facing the same direction. it is easiest if the sides fold in different direction, but folding is not an exact science. You will see the best ways to make them go together as you tape/glue. 

When I first started I used double sided tape to tape the wheels together. This worked fairly well as long as the tape is a permanent tape and is durable. I later bought another tape that was not as good and it would not stick well enough. At that point I just started hot glueing them together.

Once you glue the sides together the center is the hard part. The easiest way I found was to hold the wheel all together folded up (kinda like a cylinder), lightly hot glue the edge you want to be the center (on the ones with special edges you have to make sure those are on the outside). Using your knee, slowly push and allow the pin wheel to fold open.  Once you have it open put some more hot glue in the center hole. *be careful, too much glue will run everywhere and go through the back to get on your clothes/skin* I then held the edges of the wheel in place, with light pressure on the middle, so the glue would dry. It takes about a minute.

Example of a glued pinwheel

Again I made about one of each color/design of each size, just to start out with.

Here is an example of sizes. These are just held together with paper clips since I was just looking at the size differences. This picture also shows the doilies I used to give it a more elegant aspect as well as the different edges paired up. It just gives it a little something different. 

Step 3: Layout
Lay them out so you can see where things will be going. There is a lot of mixing and matching which makes the layout very tedious. I attempted to copy the color separation on the original image but eventually just started placing them where I thought looked the best. It will not be exactly the same as the original so why not just do your best and see what you like.

These were the first few I glued on. I started doing it on the easel but my glue gun wouldn't reach and the glue runs some. Later I laid it flat on the floor and arranged them all. After I was satisfied with the layout I glued them on.

Here is the laid out version. Still moving things around and trying to cover all the foam board showing.

And here is my final product again!

Something else to take into consideration is, where are you putting it? Letting the wheels hang over the edges looks nice. I had mine on my easel and then a small ledge at the wedding. But if you plan to have it flat on the bottom you would have to make sure it can sit flat.

If there are any questions feel free to ask! It tried to give as much detail as I could. Here is a website that shows a broken down description of making the pinwheels/rosettes. There's are a little different than mine and use more material. The idea is virtually the same.
-http://www.dreamgreendiy.com/2013/06/05/a-diy-paper-pinwheel-tutorial/

As soon as the photographer posts the photos I will upload the entire dessert bar for a comparison.
Until then, happy crafting ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment